12/06/2006

One way to deal with it...

Sorry for the gap in posts.

This story caught my eye today, it seems that this individual just couldn't keep his hands away from his presents.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (AP) -- A fed-up mother had her 12-year-old son arrested for allegedly rummaging through his great-grandmother's things and playing with his Christmas present early.

"My grandmother went out of her way to lay away a toy and paid on this thing for months," said the boy's mother, Brandi Ervin. "It was only to teach my son a lesson. He's been going through life doing things ... and getting away with it."

Now when I was growing up and something like this happened trust me there weren't any phone calls made to anyone. My mom would of located the belt informed me that the belt was in her hands and then she would proceed to the kitchen to fetch the rice. Why rice you ask? Well you see growing up - spankings weren't an everyday thing, but punishments were. The rice came in to play after the stern talking to and the understanding that what was done was wrong. Now I would proceed to the nearest wall that did not have carpeting adjacent to it. My mom would pour some rice on the floor and then tell me to kneel down on it for about a half hour. So for those of you out there who say that you have rice crispy knees -
#1 It's not even funny.
#2 You have no idea of the pain and the additional half hour it took to dig the rice out afterwards.
:)
So I say good job mom - teach that kid a lesson without torture.

1 comment:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

You know Miguel, sometimes torture applied swiftly IS the best answer.

I feel that the Mom kind of wimped out by letting the cops be the heavy. The just punishment would have meant more and sent a better message if she had delivered the punishment herself, much like your mom did.

I never heard of the kneeling on rice thing before just now. I'll bet that it very effective.