12/26/2006

Learning an edge on life...

I read this during my lunch hour in today's USA Today -
More officials in Midwest, South adding Spanish lessons to training courses

I heard during Glenn Beck's program that the fill-in for today had a problem with this issue, his stance was that it's bad enough that the American way of life is gradually changing but now we have to learn a different language because there are those that refuse to learn English. I agree with him in some part, if your going to live here and are going into the workforce please for god's sake try to learn the language. It would make the job and experience a whole lot better. Now where I disagree with him is when it involves the police. This isn't the first time I heard of the "Language Bonus" given to those who speak two languages. In a 2001 article printed by the St. Petersburg Times it states that they had a problem that kept growing in regards to the need for bilingual police officers. I speak both English and Spanish fluently. My mother made sure that I learned both languages very well. She informed me at an early age that to get ahead in life I would need the added skills to place me ahead of those other hispanics who chose not to learn.

I want the officers to learn what ever language is needed for there region whether it's Spanish, Asian or German or whatever other language. The one thing I don't want is some scumbag getting away with something and then simply saying that he didn't understand.

I also read that they were giving bonuses for those who spoke the added language - today's replacement was totally against this, but ask yourself is giving a raise for an added skill a bad thing?
Does the CEO of a company become CEO by just doing the same job day in and day out?
To get ahead in life and protect the innocent you must learn to adapt while still keep in mind of what the true values are.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not to shock you or anything, but I agree with you that hiring bi-lingual or encouraging officers to learn a second language is beneficial.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Amen!